SELL ART

How to Fix Your Clothes: A Mending Workshop
From Message
Robert Abrams

August 17, 2019    

"How to Fix Your Clothes: A Mending Workshop" by Alex Rae Phelps

September 22nd, 1 pm - 4 pm

$45 per student + $10 materials fee

https://abramsclaghornshop.com/collections/workshops/products/how-to-fix-your-clothes-a-mending-workshop

Workshop Description:

1) Promote sustainable living habits.
2) Fight against the industry of fast fashion by helping students fix the clothes they already own, so that they do not get thrown away.
3) Encourage the purchase of used clothes that may need some TLC to give them a second life.

This workshop is gender inclusive (ie any student with any type of clothes is welcome and without judgment). I would provide all supplies (needles, thread, thimbles, scissors, patches, etc). Students should bring 1-3 garments that need mending. I’ll teach students about hand sewing and mending vocabulary and a variety of techniques for tackling different types of mending projects. I will demonstrate mending techniques and then students can use the provided supplies to work on their mends. I will go around among students to advise them on best techniques to use for different types of holes, tears, seam pops, etc. Each student will go home with a booklet of mending information and resources.

About the instructor:

Alex Rae Phelps is an Oakland-based artist and vintage fashion enthusiast. Alex started collecting vintage clothes nearly a decade ago. As their collection grew, they soon realized that vintage clothes often have scars from their past lives. In order to extend the wear of these garments, Alex took their hand embroidery skills and taught themselves how to darn, hem, and patch clothes. Alex has professionally mended vintage and modern clothes for retail and freelance for the past three years.

List of materials provided by instructor that students will get to take home:
Thread
Needles
Thimbles
Magnetic pin cushions
Stick pins
Safety pins
Needle threaders
Patches
Fuse tape
Scissors
Buttons
Mending guide chapbook

ART HOSTING   SELL ART   ART EVENTS   ART SERVICES   FAQ   ESSAYS & POETRY   ART SEARCH   ART BOOKS   CONTACT US 
 ART PORTFOLIOS   ARTIST STUDIOS   ARTIST GALLERIES    OPEN STUDIOS    LOBBY 

© MesArt. All rights reserved.
Design by
Taitl Design